In the Fall of 2014 I attended a “staff ride” as a member fo the Central Virginia All Hazards Incident Management Team (CVAHIMT). Our ride took us to Gettysburg National Military Park in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This is where “Lessons from the Battle of Gettysburg” was born.
To begin I created a knowledge transfer sheet for my IMT teammates that could not attend. Next I put together a presentation that I’ve shared ad several conferences. Not long ago I used these materials to provide the listeners with a unique perspective on leadership actions taken during the Battle of Gettysburg by leaders from both the Union and Confederate armies.
As I listened to our U.S. Marine Corps Veteran and Type 1 IMT mentors I quickly realized the knowledge being shared with me through examples of strengths and areas for improvement apply to Incident Management, Emergency Management and Project Management leaders of today.
Learning Objectives from this Episode:
- Learn the history of the battle
- Why Gettysburg?
- At what cost?
- 51, 112 casualties
- est. 7 million rounds of ammunition
- 80 tons of bread per day (x 3 days)
- Profiles in Leadership
- Maj. General John Buford – Adaptability & Delegation
- Lt. General Richard Ewell – Ego & Indecision
- Maj. General Dan Sickles – Strategic vs. Tactical
- Col. Joshua Chamberlain – P.A.C.E. Planning
- Maj. General George Pickett – Giving Tough Orders
- Maj. General George Meade – Deconflicting Communication
- General-in-Chief Ulysses S. Grant – Being Imperturbable
Great Gettysburg Resources:
- History.com at https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/battle-of-gettysburg
- Teachersfirst.com at https://www.teachersfirst.com/gettysburg/index.cfm
- Gettysburg National Military Park at https://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm
* Imagine if those in the Civil War were aware of Mindfulness. Listen to Mindfulness for Warriors to learn what I’m talking about.
- Have a plan
- Stay informed
- Get involved
Kevin Pannell, PMP | Founder of KPannell Productions, LLC | Creator & Host of the KEV Talks Podcast | Principal on the @Pannell5Fit and KEV Talks YouTube Channels
- Submit to be a guest here
FB / KEV Talks / You-Jitsu / IG / KEV YouTube / Twitter / Pannell5Fit YouTube
Update March 2022: Added presentation logo, audio player, improved supporting information and updated contact information.
1 thought on “Lessons from the Battle of Gettysburg”