“The Body Keeps the Score” was a suggestion from the first Therapist I spoke to after my panic attack. This episode is my way of sharing Dr. van der Kolk’s amazing work and how I think others like me can benefit from his research and the shared stories within the book.
In this groundbreaking book Dr. Bessel van der Kolk takes us through his professional history that in turn takes us through the historical development of people’s stories, trial and error in mental health and provides us tools or direction to process our own traumas.
There are five parts to this book. For the first half to three quarters of the podcast I move relatively quickly through the first four parts that provide insight into the evolution (or process) of psychotherapy, medical technology and many case studies on how trauma treatments were developed. In Part 5, “Paths to Recovery”, is where Dr. van der Kolk provides us with methodologies to begin to treat and in some cases cure our past traumas and helps us all make progress.
- 0:00 – Opening Quote & Remarks
- 04:36 – Part 1: The Rediscovery of Trauma
- 07:48 – Part 2: This is Your Brain on Trauma
- 11:25 – Part 3: The Minds of Children
- 16:10 – Part 4: The Imprint of Trauma
- 19:23 – Part 5: Paths to Recovery
- 36:50 – Closing Quote & Remarks
* Buy “The Body Keeps the Score” on Amazon
Thank you all for listening to this episode. If you or someone you know or care about is dealing with the aftermath of trauma please share this episode and Dr. van der Kolk’s book. Other resources below.
- Veteran PTSD Program Resource locator: https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/ptsd.asp
- Virginia First Responder Support Network: https://www.vfrss.org/
- NAMI Public Safety Professionals resources: https://www.nami.org/Your-Journey/Frontline-Professionals/Public-Safety-Professionals
- NAMI Healthcare Worker resources: https://www.nami.org/Your-Journey/Frontline-Professionals/Health-Care-Professionals
- Have a plan
- Stay informed
- Get involved
Kevin Pannell, PMP | Founder of KPannell Productions, LLC | Creator & Host of the KEV Talks Podcast | Principal on the @Pannell5Fit and KEV Talks YouTube Channels
- Submit to be a guest here
FB / KEV Talks / You-Jitsu / IG / KEV YouTube / Twitter / Pannell5Fit YouTube
#ptsd #trauma #thebodykeepsthescore #therapy #anxiety #depression #yoga #exercise #healthcare #publicsafety #usmilitary #healing