In this episode, Uncover the Civil War’s Hidden Leadership Secrets with JD Baker of OMNA International | KEV Talks #17 JD Baker and I discuss critical leadership transitions that preceded the Battle of Gettysburg. We talk about well-known Civil War leaders like Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. We also review the vital role of some critical but often overlooked leaders like George Meade and John Buford. During our discussion, JD breaks down key events and leadership transitions that preceded the Battle of Gettysburg that took place in July 1863.
My Gettysburg Staff Ride
In early November 2014, I was fortunate to meet JD Baker on the hallowed grounds of Gettysburg National Military Park. I and my teammates were at Gettysburg as part of a leadership event called a “staff ride”. According to the U.S. Army, “A staff ride is a historical study of a campaign or battle that envisions a systematic preliminary study phase, an
extensive field study phase on the actual historic site, and an integration phase to capture the lessons derived from each.“
In keeping with the Army’s definition, my teammates and I did some pre-work before we arrived. Our pre-reading included the book The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. We were also provided a workbook created by OMNA International. As we moved throughout the battlefield, JD’s passion became more and more apparent. His perspective on sharpshooters’ ability as we looked up from the Devil’s Den to the top of the Big Round Top was awe-inspiring.
In this episode we’re fortunate to get more of JD’s perspective on the Civil War and how we as modern-day leaders can continue to learn and benefit from decisions made over 150 years ago.
Don’t want to listen on the website? Listen at:
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/modern-day-leadership-guidance-from-civil-war-era-leaders/id1494758972?i=1000594810105
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1leghmecOquIFQddYyDTqn?si=8712ae132e584fcd
Resources and References
- Listen to my previous episode on the Battle of Gettysburg at https://kevtalkspod.com/leadership-lessons-from-the-battle-of-gettysburg/
- Hear JD dive deep into Civil War history with Jocko Willink on the Jocko Podcast at https://jockopodcast.com/2022/12/15/363-the-principle-weapon-is-the-mind-read-study-learn-with-jd-baker/
- Reserve your spot to hear from JD himself by booking a staff ride to Gettysburg or other pivotal locations in American history with OMNA International at https://theomna.com/
- Learn more about the U.S. Army’s concept of staff rides at https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Portals/7/educational-services/staff-rides/the-staff-ride-overview-2-august-2013.pdf
- UPDATED 1/18/2023: Since JD was a Marine I felt compelled to add this resource – https://grc-usmcu.libguides.com/c.php?g=1030391&p=7468127
- More about the NWCG L-580 course at https://www.nwcg.gov/publications/training-courses/l-580#:~:text=L%2D580%20is%20designed%20to,of%20experience%20and%20fixed%20behaviors.
Thank you for listening to Uncover the Civil War’s Hidden Leadership Secrets with JD Baker of OMNA International | KEV Talks #17. This was a fun episode to record. Personally, I’m glad I got to catch up with JD. Learning more historical leadership lessons was the icing on the cake.
Thank you for listening, subscribing, and leaving a review. Remember…
- Have a plan to keep your teams aligned
- Stay informed with facts, not fear or rumors
- Get involved so you can make a difference
📓 Have a plan to keep your team aligned | ℹ Stay informed with facts, not fear or rumors | 🤝 Then get involved so you can make a difference
Kevin Pannell, PMP | Founder of KPannell Productions, LLC | Creator & Host of the KEV Talks Podcast | Principal on the @Pannell5Fit and KEV Talks YouTube Channels
- Submit to be a guest here